Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why I'm Blogging

I've been reading other people's blogs for about a year now, and find many of them to be very well written and entertaining. Of course, I particularly enjoy the aliyah blogs. Many people write blogs and then stop. It does take some time and effort to maintain them. Some of these writers are incredibly prolific and write daily. I decided to treat my blog as a diary. I've been keeping a journal on and off since high school. (Okay sometimes YEARS pass between entries), and I just decided to put it here, really to let my family and friends know what's going on in my life, especially since we are moving to Israel. I don't know how often I'll write, but I guess it will be when I feel the need to comment on and analyze what I'm experiencing in Israel.

Oh, and I can't promise you the spelling, grammar and punctuation will be perfect. Please feel free to correct me. There doesn't seem to be spell check on "blogger"--if someone knows otherwise please let me know. (For example, how DO you spell 'beaurocrasy'?)

There is a whole world of Jewish bloggers out there, and many of them know each other through their blogs and link to each other. There are even annual awards for Jewish blogging with many different categories. I havn't figured out how to link to them, which is a good thing for all you guys because I promise it becomes addictive to start reading this stuff (ask Isaac!--he says I spend way to much time on the computer). Eventually, though I will, and you'll see what I mean.

If any of you know how to do this stuff (linking and other stuff I'm clueless about), please let me know.

I'll tell you what this blog won't be. It won't be a minute-by-minute account of what we are doing in Israel. And, although it will be somewhat personal, it can't be to personal because I have to respect the privacy of Isaac and the kids. (so, no, I won't be writing about any arguments that I. and I may have--not that we ever argue...). I also want to try to limit the complaining about some of the things you hear about that are difficult in Israel--the beaurocracy, corrupt government etc. I really want to try to see the good of the society I'm choosing to live in, rather than the not-so-good. I feel bad about saying "lashon Harah" about Israel, and will try hard not to do that. But we'll see.

So this blog may turn out to be one big bore. Read it at work, when you have nothing better to do. I would love you all to comment when you want to--just click on the comments section and go.

Ultimately, this blog is just another way to keep in touch with the people I care so much about, whom I will miss terribly. All of you, in other words. I hope it helps us to stay connected and involved in each other's lives, even from so far a distance.

Shavua Tov!

No comments: