Wednesday, February 25, 2009

משנכנס אדר מרבין בשמחה It's a new month on the Jewish calendar!

Today is the first day of the Jewish month of Adar. It is supposed to be a month of increased joy as during this month we recall the miracle of Purim, when our ancestors were saved from destruction by the evil Haman.

Last year, on this day 8 students were brutally murdered while studying in the Yeshivat Mercaz HaRav. Many in Israel had a hard time "increasing joy" during that time and celebrated Purim with heavy hearts. I wrote about the event here and here. I just wanted to take a moment and recall this event. Such is life in Israel--joy and sorrow woven together into our daily stories.

I got my friend Danny to help usher in the new month. Some of you might recognize him from Shlock Rock. Believe it or not, Danny just learned to play the mandolin a month ago. Here he is with a Purim classic.


While I'm here I'll remind you to check out this week's edition of Haveil Havalim, up at Sarah's Images.

Wishing all of you a חדש טוב, a month filled with joy, success and blessings.

No comments: