Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Modiin Part I

I've decided to try to do a series to show you the city in which I now live. Modiin is only about ten years old. 25 years ago I walked to these hills from Kibbutz Be'erot Yitzchak. That's all that was here. Hills. Rocks. And of course, history.

Modiin has proudly called itself the "city of the future". It is Israel's first "planned city". Currently, there are about 70,000 residents. The plan is for the city to grow to 200,000. It's true it's a "planned city", but not all those plans are always so well thought out. There are problems in Modiin, just as there are in any other city. But I find it incredibly exciting to live in a place that is constantly changing. One day you see a pile of rocks and the next day you see a building going up. Or a playground, or a mall, or a Beit Knesset.

So for today, I'm going to show you random things I've photographed around the city. And then we'll see how this "series" of mine evolves.



These are the "Dimri Towers", under construction. I just thought watching this huge arch come to life is pretty cool. These towers are considered to be luxury buildings. Those smart South Africans bought a bunch of apartments as a group and reportedly got great deals.



These are some of the towers already completed, just to show what the end-product looks like.





This is "Mega" where I do most of my supermarket shopping. One of these days I will devote an entire post to grocery shopping Israeli style. For now I'll just tell you that this supermarket is big and modern. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.





Lately, Isaac and I have the luxury of walking in the mornings. We take Ozzy to Reut, which is a Yishuv that has become part of the city of Modiin. Reut is on the Border of Buchman (our neighborhood) and Buchman Darom (the neighborhood south of us; why they can't have their own name I don't know). There is a path along the perimeter of the Yishuv that Isaac and I walk. It is enclosed by a fence on one side, and the mountainside edge of the Yishuv on the other, so we let Isaac (I mean Ozzy) off the leash, which he just loves. Ozzy is in much better shape that either of us. He runs up those killer hills like nobody's business, and he usually does double what we do since he's constantly running back and forth.


There they go, my boys up the killer hill. This is the last big bad hill on our way home. I usually moan and groan all the way up.





This is the road that Isaac and I like to walk on. Check out how far out it winds. We usually walk it all the way to the end. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half. It's a pretty strenuous stretch of road. On our way from our house it is all down hill, and the on the way back, I huff and puff all the way up. But I need to do something to work off all those borecas!



I was going to show you more, but I'm getting tired, and Isaac keeps making suggestions. I suggest he get his own damn blog.

Stay tuned for the next installment of the series--coming I don't know when. But soon, I promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this new feature on your blog. And I look forward to an entire SERIES on Mega!
CK