Sunday, October 25, 2009

Of Switches and boards, Part II

It was very gratifying to get so many productive comments regarding my "professional crisis", which I wrote about in the previous post. I appreciate all the suggestions and the support.

I've been thinking about it a great deal, and I think the best thing I can do, within the confines of the job, is just to do the best I can at the job. I think this means starting from the bottom up, rather than the opposite. As I stated earlier, the principal is an intelligent, dedicated person. She is a mature woman who has been influenced by a great deal of life-experience. I don't think I can easily change what is obviously a core belief of hers. On the other hand, the assistants in the classroom are very young women just starting out in their adult lives. Perhaps through example and demonstration they can come to understand what their role can be in expanding these children's ability to communicate.

Interestingly enough, before all of this happened the principal has scheduled a course on Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) to be presented at the school by some of the foremost experts in the world on the topic. I am hoping that the course will also help to convince the staff of how much can be achieved when AAC is used throughout the day.

So that's where we're at for now. I will keep you updated as things develop.

In the meantime, Haveil Havalim is up over here. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the parent of a child who has special needs, I want to say THANK YOU - your work, efforts, caring, love and concern are appreciated more than you know.

Anonymous said...

Another thought: do you have videos of such kids and their progress? You could maybe show the principal that what seems impossible now, isn't.
She might then see that you are not just an idealist but a professional who can be trusted.