Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A new table, a new year and new gas masks

I vaguely remember getting up this morning, getting myself and everyone ready for school and work. Then work, where I thought I worked hard, but turned out to be the easiest part of the day. After that I went to visit a friend who was just released from the hospital following some surgery. Two more stops at two different supermarkets to find fish heads (I like the real thing on my Rosh Hashana table. It totally grosses the kids out).

Then Isaac calls me. "The table's going to be delivered between 2 and 4 PM". We had ordered a dining room set eons ago and Isaac's been calling the store daily to nag them to get it to us before the upcoming holiday (we were told it was coming three weeks ago). Great, I said. I'll head home (it was already after 2).

But first I squeezed in a visit to pick up gas masks for the entire family. That was fun. I also made a trip to the money changer, who for no apparent reason was closed. I got home at 3 PM to find no new table anywhere.

I baked a Better-than-Drakes Coffee cake, prepped my meat dish, marinated a whole chicken, made Mimi's stuffed turkey breast. Carol dropped by and chatted while I contined cooking. I went to get my haircut, where I bumped into my friend Lisa. She must live at Dani Mor, she's always there when I get my haircut and I only go twice a year. Come to think of it her hair always looks great.

I returned home to find no new table. It was now 6 PM.

I cooked the Carrots for Mimi's Morrocan Carrot Salad (not as successful as the turkey), made the sauce for the Morrocan fish we're having on Thursday, and set up the pumpkin soup.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law arrived and I chit-chatted a bit with them, but then went back to work in the kitchen.

I called some family and friends in the states to wish them the best for the new year.

Still no table.

I blended the pumpkin soup with my handy-dandy immersion blender, got pumpkin soup all over my shirt, an opportune time for three men to show up with my table.

I really like the table. Of course I can't be 100 percent sure that it's the one I ordered because it's been so long I really don't remember any more.

Whatever.

Here's hoping that you and yours have many happy gatherings around your tables this year. That all gas masks gather dust, or dare I say it--are returned because peace reigns in the world (hey, a girl can dream).

And, always in my heart and prayers: Gilad. I hope this is the year you come home.

8 comments:

Leora said...

Happy, healthy new year to you and yours. And to Gilad and his.

I plan to make a Moroccan carrot salad tomorrow - I have a slightly different recipe.

May you all have very dusty gas masks.

Baila said...

I'd like your recipe. I'm going to sell Mimi's as "Spicy Carrots", but I don't think my family will like them...

Mrs. S. said...

Titchadshu on your new table! May you have many, many happy occasions to celebrate around it.

שנה טובה ומתוקה
וכתיבה וחתימה טובה
to you and your family!

אנט פרידמן said...

Great post. Shana Tova! By the way - if your money changer is Ari - he had a baby boy - could be why he was closed :-)

Fern Chasida said...

i want the coffee cake recipe, please. oh yeah, shana tova.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Can you email me the better than drakes coffee cake recipe

I really miss those!!!

Anonymous said...

I third the motion, any chance of getting that Better Than Drakes coffee cake recipe, please!

Mimi said...

Baila, I hope your family liked the carrots...and am happy that the stuffed turkey breast went over. That is, I hope it went over.

Moadim le-simcha, and happy cooking to you...happy, and popular cooking! :)

Mimi