Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My weird summer

Liat is away in America. She's having a great time there, although I'm glad to hear she misses Israel.

Tali just left for camp for two weeks, after working at a "kaytana" (day camp). Now Orli's taking a two-week stint there. Orli has loads of friends in town and is busy with them and with Bnei Akiva, her youth group.

Last year, I'd get home from work, settle in a bit and we'd be off to the beach by 3 or 4 and stay there till dark.

This year my kids don't seem to need me to take them any more. They are managing on their own, thank you very much.

It's every parent's dream, huh? But I'm finding it a bit...disconcerting. Maybe even lonely.

It's not that I don't have what to do, or have my own peers who have similar schedules; it's just that--I kind of like hanging out with my girls. (Except for shopping. That drives me nuts).

The empty nest lurks...


**************************************************************

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ORLI, WHO IS OFFICIALLY A TEENAGER TODAY!!! (Although who are we kidding, she's been behaving like one since she turned three).

7 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

I'm experiencing similar feelings this week, since only our eldest and our youngest are home.

Everyone else is away, doing whatever it is that Israeli kids do. You know, "fun" things like wallowing in the mud, sleeping in the dirt, hiking in the heat, etc....
:-)

westbankmama said...

Baila - we mothers of boys go through this when the kids turn 14 and go off to dormitory high school. Less cooking, less mess, more quiet - but, um, a somewhat empty feeling too.

Risa Tzohar said...

You"ll get used to it and may even get to like it. For now, it will be on again and off again and you will get used to a different kind of relationship with your kids. When it's good, it's a lovely adult relationship and really enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Have no fear, i saw Liat a few weeks ago on shabbat and when we were discussing her plans for the future ie. college etc. she clearly stated she want to live in Israel. I was so happy to hear that. It was so nice to see her, she looks great!

Anonymous said...

BTW, it has been three years and the North Woodmere Pool is still not the same without you!
Sharon
oh, the last comment was from me

Baila said...

Mrs. S.,

Orli still has a couple of weeks before it's her turn to wallow in the mud. And she can't wait.

WBM,

Exactly.

Risa,

Thanks. I know it's a good thing--we want our kids to fly, right?

Sharon/Anon,

I'm so glad to hear that, too!! And you have to come see the pool we belong to now! You'd love it.

Kathleen said...

I will remind myself of this post when I feel overwhelmed with my younger ones.