Friday, December 19, 2008

This is something worth eating meat for at 10 a.m: Stuffed Zucchini




I got this recipe from the Jerusalem Post. It's easy, but it does have several steps. It is a complete meal, though; you don't have to make any side dishes to go with it.

As I have very strict standards, I always taste my food to make sure it is up to the level of perfection my family has come to expect from me. Which is how I found myself eating a meat dish at 10 a.m. this morning. You'll all be happy to know this dish passed my test.

Here's the recipe:

12 medium zucchini

(filling):

500 gram chicken
1 large grated onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped parsley
3/4 cup rice
1 pinch lemon salt
1 tsp hawaiij (middle eastern spice; Pereg makes it, you can get it in Gourmet Glatt)
salt and pepper

(sauce):

3 tbs oil
1 large chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup diced apricots
6 fresh ripe tomatoes, grated coarsely
lemon, juice and zest
1 heaping tbs sugar
1 tsp hawaiij
salt and pepper
2-3 ups clear chicken soup or stock

Scoop out the zucchini, saving the guts. Mix all the ingredients for the filling and lightly fill the zuchinis; set aside.

Saute the onion and garlic, then add the rest of the ingredients until the chicken soup. Bring to a boil. Spread the zuccini pulp over the sauce and then place the stuffed zucchinis in the sauce. Place the covers near the zucchinis, not on them. Pour in the chicken soup and cook until they look like they are done. Voila!

6 comments:

Leora said...

I'll add a link right now to KCC so I dont' forget. Have a Shabbat Shalom.

Baila said...

Thanks Leora, for taking care of that for me.

Asher said...

hawaijj - isn't that Yemenite for Ginger? (May be mistaken here)

Baila said...

No, it's not ginger, although I believe it's a mixture of spice that may have ginger in it.

Chanukah Sameach!

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful!

Robin said...

That looks delicious, I'll have to try it too.