Tuesday, November 4, 2008

They thought it couldn't be done (title 1), and will it be Barack or John? (title 2)

Fellow computer addicts, listen up. I have been away from my computer for 48 hours. I know, I can hardly believe it myself, but it can be done.

It wasn't a conscious decision not to turn the thing on. I just came home from work yesterday exhausted. I'm pretty sure I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I have been feeling down for no apparent reason. I looked at the computer and just didn't want to deal. The fact that I was reading this also made me not want to crack open the laptop. This is just one of those books you can't put down--great plot line, strong characters and a fascinating historical setting. I also managed to go on a vigorous walk with Ozzy and a friend, then went to bed at 10:30 and woke up feeling pretty darn good.

Hmm. Maybe I should do this more often.

Next topic.

I don't usually get political on this blog, but I do read and discuss this stuff alot. My friend N called me from America a couple of hours ago; she was torn about who to vote for and said she wanted my insight. I was touched and flattered that she thought enough of my opinion to call me. She was really torn about who to vote for, saying that her neighborhood (my old neck of the woods, the Five Towns was going with McCain, but that she wasn't so sure. She had several good reasons for her feeling. I told her what I thought. I didn't try to convince her either way and don't know what she decided. She probably doesn't know yet herself, and won't know until she pulls that lever.

I was so happy that she was putting so much thought into it and not just conforming. I hate to be cynical, but with the electoral college system of electing a US president, New York State is pretty much a shoo-in for Obama, regardless of who N votes for. Still she felt her vote was crucial and talked about the privilege of voting as a Jew and as a woman.

I'm pretty intrigued about who the new president will be. I know what the polls are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an upset. I think that whomever it is has much to look forward to. America will spend the next couple of years recovering from the current economic mess. The new president, be it Obama or McCain, will get, or take credit for this recovery (whether he deserves it or not).

I'm signing off now. When I wake up, we'll know who America's new leader is. Either way, the next four years should be very interesting.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Water for Elephants! I actually listened to the audio book and narrators were fantastic.

As for the elections... I LOVE voting. I took my kids with me,and it was indeed, such a teachable moment. And then I cried the whole way to work. I was THAT emotional about how fortunate I am to live in a democracy.

Don't know who will win... but Gd Bless America.

Anonymous said...

I HIGHLY recommend the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It is SOO charming and wonderful.

CK

mother in israel said...

I didn't like Water for Elephants. It started off very promising, but then I got bored with the love story. Aren't you glad you know you can survive for 48 hours without the computer?
I think it's funny that your friend called you here to ask your opinion.

Anonymous said...

I assume you aren't voting, i wonder how many american/ israeli's are. what are they saying about our candidates in Israel?
I didn't go on my computer for a few days and had 68 emails!!!
sz

Leora said...

Do you really think you have SAD? I can't imagine there not being much sun in Modi'in, it was so sunny when I was there in June. Maybe you are just working very hard. That's exhausting in itself.

I'll have to take a peek at that book.

I'll skip any political commentary.

Baila said...

Anon,

Yesterday was a very patriotic one.

CK,

Thanks for the tip. I trust your taste in books.

Mom,

I guess you're right in that the book is largely a love story, but the characters were so strong. I love how she depicted life for the old man in the home and what circus life was like at the time, both the cruelty and the camaraderie....

SZ,

Americans who have made Aliyah can vote by absentee ballot (which my non-American anglo friends think is crazy). (I heard the bar mitvah was amazing!)

Leora,

It is a self-diagnosis, but yes, I do believe I have it. The sun in the summer is endless here in Israel, but now it is less strong, there are much less hours of it and I am indoors working for much of the day. I don't believe it is a serious case because I think my body adjusts after a few weeks and I get out of my funk. That vigorous (and long, uphill!) walk helped alot, and I plan on doing that more often.

Anonymous said...

Either way, the next four years should be very interesting.
This is surely true.

Batya said...

Now you know, but who knows what will be...

Leora said...

Baila, I'm glad you have your SAD under control. Good for you.